Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rhubarb Infused Gin


I went to the farmer's market early last Saturday morning. It is rhubarb season here in balmy Buffalo, and I picked up a few stalks for two bucks.
On Sunday morning, I sliced 'em up and added them to a pint of gin. I used Tanqueray, because it was the least fancy gin that I had on hand.
I left it on the counter, and when I returned from work, I saw that the rhubarb slices had quickly given up their color. It took just a day to tint the gin a rosy pink, and two days before I thought it might be getting too tart. A quick strain through a coffee filter, a tablespoon of simple syrup, and I have a new pink-tart ingredient to play with.
I am curious to find out how to scale up the recipe for larger proportions. A recipe I found online calls for equal amounts of rhubarb and sugar, and having the mixture sit in gin for two months.

No comments: