Monday, June 1, 2009

Pineapple-Sage infused Tequila

I often read, and occasionally post, to a cocktail enthusiast and bartender's web forum called The Chanticleer Society. A new gent, named Joseph, from a bar and restaurant called Elettaria in NYC, introduced himself to the online community and, as usual, I was curious about the bar and googled their site.
While perusing their online cocktail menu, I was struck by a few imaginative cocktails, and one in particular caught my attention- The Rita Hayworth. Pineapple & Sage Infused Herradura
Silver Tequila, Lime, & Honey. Now, my wife and I enjoy margaritas probably more than the next couple- and with my wife's predilection for fruity spirits, and my interest in trying new spirit infusions - I knew this could only be a good idea. And... there was an over-ripe pineapple on the kitchen counter, and sage growing in our herb garden. Coincidence? I think not.
Brian, head bartender at Elettaria, (can one meet other people through the internet? It seems such a Douglas Coupland contrivance,) wrote to tell me that most everything from the cocktail menu was his creation, except for the Rita Hayworth, which came from Brian at Death & Company.
I decided against using the $30 bottle of 100% agave Herradura for my first test, opting instead for some very serviceable Sauza Silver tequila. If I was going to make a botched batch of infused tequila that would quickly become the latest version of Liquid Plumber, it would be best not to use the expensive booze.
I loaded a pint canning jar with cubed pineapple and four or five medium sized sage leaves, and filled it with the tequila. About 5 days in the fridge is all it took to infuse the spirit with plenty of pineapple-sage flavor and aroma. A quick run through a fine sieve before going through a paper coffee filter, and the golden-colored liquid was bottled. Your results may vary.
I tried a little, shaken quickly with ice and then served on the rocks, and it is delicious. I am sure this is going to be a staple in my bar.

No comments: